Child, wife abandonment tops list of GBV in Gombe -NHRC
Principal Admin Officer, National Human Rights Commission (NHRC), Ndam Fabong says no fewer than 60 cases of child abandonment have been reported to the commission in 2021.
He said out of the 60 reported, the commission has resolved about 40, adding that NHRC’s attention has been shifted to the effect of abandonment on the children’s orientation.
Fabong made this disclosure on Thursday, shortly after a media briefing organised by Gombe State Ministry of Women Affairs and Social Development to commemorate the 16 days of activism against Gender Based Violence.
2021 celebration is with the theme Orange the world: End violence against women now! The commemoration is between 25th November and 10th December to campaign for the elimination of all types of violence.
Recall that Gombe is among states yet to domesticate the Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act, which would aid prosecution of violence cases in the state.
He said, “We have received the case of abandonment where the husband abandons the children the case is rampant in Gombe. The issue of rape is not as much as physical assault and wife battery. Most times after beating they just abandon them.
“We have about 36 cases of rape this year, 27 have been settled. On wife battery or physical assault we have about 40 cases. On the issue of child abandonment our interest is on the innocent children we normally ask such fathers on the amount they can drop per month for the upkeep of the children and on that we have about 60 of them. However, out of the 60 cases we have resolved 40 and about 20 are on going.
He advised parents and guardians about taking matters to court for litigation saying there are workable means of tackling the menace.
Fabong added, “The question is how many people have the resources to engage the services of a lawyer. The reason United Nations General Assembly urged member states to establish human right institution.
“We have lawyers in the National Human Rights Commission that handles your matter with request for resources from complainant because they are employees of government.The commission is free, you go there to handle your matter, no body will ask you to pay money.”

Also speaking, State Secretary International Federation of Women Lawyers (FIDA), Barr. Mwalin Abdu lamented the increasing demand for legal support due to overwhelming violence in the state.
Abdu said, “It is quite alot, we have some members who receive such calls on daily basis. About two days back (Tuesday), we have about 35 for this year that we have so far attended to. This include; domestic, sexual violence, physical, psychosocial mental violence.
“Between November 25th and 10th December, the target is to let the world know that such heinous acts are going on and the need for everybody to stand up. There is no justification for any type of violence, let allow women. Our commitment is to ensure violence against women is reduced to the bearest minimum.”
While commenting on the impediments to ensuring protection of women and girls, Abdu blamed the laws as cause.
“Most especially Gombe State, our laws are weak, the laws are archaic we need them to be amended so that it will go in line with best practices.
“We are calling on the state government to make sure it domesticates Violence Against Persons Prohibition Act (VAPPA), to address some of the up coming issues. There are some of the laws not captured in the old laws, that is why a perpetrator, abuse will go free,” Abdu added.
On her part, Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Naomi Awak noted that the current administration is committed to ensure the protection of lives.
She stated that women and girls have right to live free from violence, everywhere, adding that they have the right to peace in the home, in public and online.
“We must do better. It is time to stand up and say enough to violence not just on one day,



