By Ben Ngwakwe, Gombe
Gombe Governor, Muhammadu Yahaya, has said that his administration has so far paid the sum of N892,740,114 as a government counterpart contribution in order to enable the implementation of the FCE(T) Gully Erosion Project, adding that they have previously also ensured the successful execution of the GSU-Mallam Inna gully erosion project under NEWMAP, and they are committed to addressing other gully erosion sites through partnerships with stakeholders.

Speaking at the official presentation of cheques at the FCE T) , Gombe,gully control work project affected persons this evening on Tuesday, in collaboration with Agro- Climate Resilience in Semi Arid Landscapes, the governor disclosed that a total of ₦ 389,740,114 was earmarked for the payment of compensation to the project affected persons and the general implementation of the Resettlement Action Plan (RAP), stressing that they have taken note of the change in market values for land and other assets, thus making the compensation decent enough to ensure easy relocation of projected-affected persons. It is my hope that the beneficiaries will make good use of this opportunity.
The governor said as part of the project, a total of 343 people will be directly affected.
“The list includes 60 vulnerable and elderly persons comprising household heads, widows, and the poorest of the poor who are included on compassionate grounds, adding further that his administration recognizes the impact this project has on the lives and livelihoods of our people, and it is their duty to ensure that those affected are adequately compensated in order to enable them relocate with ease.
“Today’s event demonstrates our dual commitment to protect our environment and safeguard the livelihoods of those directly affected by the project. The compensation is intended to mitigate the inconveniences associated with relocation and to assist those affected by the project to rebuild their lives in their new environments. I would like to assure you that the process will be implemented with utmost transparency, equity and fairness”.
“I would like to thank the affected households and families for their resilience, understanding and cooperation. I would like to also express our deep appreciation to the ACReSAL team, the World Bank and other stakeholders who are contributing immensely to the success of this project,” the governor said.
“On a final note, I would like to restate our commitment towards addressing the various environmental challenges affecting our communities. Together, we shall overcome those challenges, and build a resilient, vibrant, and environmentally sustainable Gombe State”.
It may be recalled that in November 2023, the government conducted the contract signing ceremony for the 12-billion-naira FCE(T) Gully Erosion Control Project, an event that marked a significant step in their commitment to environmental remediation and community development.



