Chima Azubuike
“To Allah we belong and to Him we shall return.”

Those words, once murmured in quiet sorrow, have become a bitter refrain haunting Pindiga, a peaceful farming community in Akko Local Government Area of Gombe State. On Saturday evening, as the sun dipped toward the horizon, terror struck. Suspected bandits descended on Galadima Pindiga, setting homes ablaze while helpless families fled for their lives. By the time the smoke cleared, two lives had been violently snatched away, while countless others were left shattered, their homes reduced to smouldering ruins.
For the people of Pindiga, fear is no longer a distant threat whispered about in far-off states; it is here, on their streets, in their homes, in nights that offer no safety. Mothers clutch their children, fathers stare blankly at the ruins of their livelihoods, and a community once defined by fertile fields and laughter now trembles under the shadow of banditry. This was not just an attack; it was a brutal invasion of lives, peace and hope.
A resident of Pindiga, Auwal Adamu, spoke with raw emotion as he described the scale and frequency of the violence.
“True talk, people of Pindiga, let us pray. Last month, gunmen broke into Pindiga town, killed two people and kidnapped four others,” Adamu said.
According to him, the attackers operate in a frightening pattern, moving from one rural settlement to another, often under the cover of darkness.
“They went to Kaltanga Mamuda town and kidnapped two people. Professional hunters succeeded in releasing them. They went to Rahama town and killed one person; hunters later rescued one kidnapped person,” he recounted.
The list continued, painting a grim picture of communities under siege.
“They went to Laro town, killed one man and kidnapped his children. They went to Galadima town and kidnapped one person. They went near Sabon Kaura and kidnapped two people. They went to Lombo town and kidnapped again.”
Adamu said the repeated attacks have left residents traumatised, particularly farmers whose livelihoods depend on access to farmlands scattered across the axis.
“The whole of Gombe State is nowhere like this area. Thousands of people from different parts of Gombe are farming from Sabon Kaura town to Galadima Pindiga town,” he said.
While acknowledging ongoing efforts by security agencies and traditional authorities, he appealed for urgent government intervention.
“We call on the Gombe State Government to help make the road from Pindiga to Kaltanga Mamuda. It will reduce the security problem in the area. We request an increase in the number of security agencies. Giving professional hunters equipment will help a lot.”
He added, “Security officers and professional hunters are doing their best. His Royal Highness, the King of Pindiga, is doing his best day and night. We pray that God gives us peace and stops this tragedy.”
Until January 2026, banditry remained a relatively unfamiliar lexicon in Gombe State, a crime the Police had consistently dismissed as nonexistent within the state.
In 2024, however, a former Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps (NSCDC) Gombe State Commandant, Bello Muhammad, raised alarm that bandits had infiltrated the state and begun recruiting informants. The Police at the time faulted the intelligence report, describing it as untrue.
This position shifted as the Gombe State Police Command began openly acknowledging attempted and foiled attacks.
“The Gombe State Command wishes to inform the general public of a successfully foiled armed bandits’ attack at Guda Lamido Village, Kashere, Akko Local Government Area of Gombe State.
“On 13th January, 2026, at about 0400 hours, a report was received indicating that a group of armed bandits, in their numbers, attempted to invade Guda Lamido Village.
“Upon receipt of the report, a joint patrol team comprising officers of the Nigeria Police Force, local vigilante groups, and hunters swiftly mobilised and responded to the distress. The team engaged the bandits and successfully repelled the attack, forcing the criminals to retreat into the surrounding forest.
“No life was lost and no injuries sustained during the encounter. Normalcy has since been restored, and the area remains calm and peaceful,” the Police Public Relations Officer, DSP Buhari Abdullahi, said.
Recent events appear to have validated those earlier warnings.
The Gombe State Police Command has since confirmed multiple incidents in the Pindiga–Akko axis, describing them as cases of suspected kidnapping, culpable homicide, criminal conspiracy.
The Command disclosed that on December 28, 2025, a distress report was received at about 0330 hours.
“A distress report was received at Pindiga Police Station, Akko Local Government Area, regarding a shooting and abduction incident,” the Police said.
According to DSP Buhari Abdullahi, “Unidentified armed men invaded the residence of the victims along the Pindiga–Kashere Road.”
He continued, “During the attack, the assailants shot Yusuf Mohammed, male, aged 31 years, and Faiza Mohammed, female, aged 28 years, and abducted Zainab Mohammed Yusuf, female, aged 16 years.”
The attackers later extended the assault to another residence.
“The armed men further proceeded to the residence of Alhaji Yayaji Abdullahi, where they abducted his wife and two children, identified as Summai Alhaji Yayaji, 35; Al’amin Alhaji Yayaji, 11; and Fatima Abdullahi, 14.
“The two gunshot victims were immediately rushed to the Cottage Hospital, Pindiga; unfortunately, they were confirmed dead by a medical doctor,” the Police added.
Following a visit to the crime scene by senior officers, six empty shells of AK-47 ammunition and one live round were recovered.
“Tactical and intelligence-led operations were immediately intensified in the area,” the Command said.
As attacks escalated in January 2026, Police operations expanded across Pindiga District.
On January 24, 2026, the Command reported fresh attacks on Rahama, Lambo and Garin Galadima villages.
“Information received revealed that suspected bandits invaded Rahama Village via Gagarabami, where they shot and killed Tela Bello Ahmadu, male, aged 70 years,” Abdullahi said.
The attackers abducted his two sons, “Saleh Tela, male, aged 25 years, and Abdullahi Tela, male, aged 35 years.”
Barely hours later, at about 0340 hours, the same group stormed Lambo Village, abducting Babayo Garba, Malam Abba Musa and Baayo Bayi.
“The response was swift. Upon receipt of the distress call, Police Tactical Teams under Operation Hattara, in collaboration with hunters and vigilante groups, mobilised and engaged the bandits in a gun duel,” Abdullahi said.
“Three of the bandits were neutralised, while others escaped into the forest with suspected gunshot injuries.”
However, Baayo Bayi was unfortunately caught in the crossfire and later confirmed dead.
“Two abducted victims were rescued alive. Recovered exhibits include two AK-47 rifles, four magazines, 68 rounds of live 7.62mm ammunition, 120 expended shells, four motorcycles and cash,” he added.
Amid rising anxiety, the Commissioner of Police, CP Umar Chuso, conducted an on-the-spot assessment visit to Pindiga and Garin Galadima, where he commiserated with victims, assessed the security situation and reassured residents of the Command’s commitment to protecting lives and property.
“Efforts have been intensified to apprehend the perpetrators and prevent further attacks,” Abdullahi said.
On January 18, 2026, operatives attached to Pindiga Divisional Police Headquarters arrested a suspect during a stop-and-search patrol.
“Upon search, the suspect was found in possession of 13 live cartridges, one cutlass, one knife and one red Honda motorcycle,” Abdullahi added.
“The suspect was allegedly en route to deliver the cartridges to his commander in a forest area within the Mansur axis of Alkaleri Local Government Area of Bauchi State.”
For decades, Gombe State occupied a relatively distinct position on Nigeria’s internal security map. Unlike Zamfara, Katsina or Niger states, it was largely insulated from organised banditry and mass rural kidnappings.
Security sources attribute this to favourable geography, strong traditional authority structures and early community-based security coordination.
“What we are seeing now is not indigenous banditry that developed internally in Gombe,” a police source said. “It is a spillover of criminal networks displaced from neighbouring states.”
Forest corridors linking southern Bauchi, Plateau and the Akko–Pindiga axis have increasingly become transit routes for fleeing armed groups.
“They exploit difficult terrain, poor road access and isolated farming settlements,” the Police noted.
The Akko–Pindiga corridor is a critical agricultural belt feeding markets across the state, with thousands of seasonal farmers converging on the area annually.
Security analyst Muazu Sanda, warned that prolonged insecurity could threaten food production and rural livelihoods.
Poor road access between Pindiga and Kaltanga Mamuda has also hindered rapid security deployment.
“Response time is affected when infrastructure is weak. That is why intelligence-led policing and community collaboration are key. Recall that oil exploration is emerging as Gombe and Bauchi prepare to benefit. Criminals are already positioning themselves,” Sanda said.
Throughout the crisis, the Gombe State Police Command has repeatedly condemned the violence.
“The Gombe State Police Command strongly condemns this criminal act and assures members of the public that all necessary measures are being taken to bring those responsible to justice.”
Residents were urged to remain calm and cooperate with security agencies by providing credible and timely information.
The Command reaffirmed that “the Commissioner of Police assures the public of the Command’s unwavering commitment to safeguarding lives and property.”
On January 2, 2026, Governor Muhammadu Yahaya met with the Assistant Inspector General of Police, Zone 12, AIG Abubakar Aliyu, following the Pindiga incident in which two persons were killed and three others abducted.
In a statement issued by the Director-General, Press Affairs, Gombe Government House, Ismaila Misilli, it was disclosed that the meeting reviewed the security situation across the state, with emphasis on strengthening intelligence gathering, boosting police presence and enhancing rapid response capabilities.
“The protection of lives and property remains a non-negotiable priority,” the statement said, assuring of the state government’s commitment to deploying all lawful measures to ensure sustained peace.
Responding, AIG Aliyu expressed optimism that perpetrators would be brought to justice.
“The Nigeria Police Force has intensified efforts to track down the perpetrators. Actionable intelligence and community collaboration will be key to restoring calm,” he said.
At the federal level, the House of Representatives intervened after adopting a motion of urgent public importance moved by Chief Whip Bello Kumo.
“These attacks have caused widespread destruction of property, displacement of citizens, loss of livelihoods, fear and uncertainty,” Kumo said, adding that “they are a stark reminder of the overwhelming threat to national security.”
Lawmakers urged President Bola Tinubu to initiate joint security operations, deploy Mobile Police Force units and provide relief materials to affected communities.
Despite fear and grief, residents acknowledge ongoing efforts.
“Security officers and professional hunters are doing their best,” Auwal Adamu said. “We believe peace will return.”
For Gombe, the unfolding crisis in Pindiga is a critical test of preparedness, coordination and resolve, a test of whether banditry will be allowed to take root where it never existed before.


