The Federal Government has warned the Nigeria Labour Congress and Trade Union Congress against embarking on their planned strike action, saying it would amount to contempt of court.
The Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Mr. Lateef Fagbemi, SAN, in a statement on Monday, said the government had obtained a restraining order from the National Industrial Court of Nigeria barring the unions from going ahead with the strike.
Fagbemi said the order was granted on November 10 by the President of the NICN, Justice B. B. Kanyip, and that the unions had been duly served with the order.
He urged the unions to respect the court order and adhere to the principle of the rule of law.
“There is no need to resort to self-help,” Fagbemi said. “We urge workers to report for duties and not to entertain any fear as their safety is guaranteed and will be protected within the ambit of law.”