Governor Muhammadu Yahaya of Gombe State on Thursday clarified that the recent restriction on motorcycle movement in the state capital was initiated solely by the police command, without consultation with the state government.
Speaking during the official flag-off of the 2025 cropping season fertilizer distribution held Thursday in Gombe, the governor disclosed that he was not briefed on the decision by the Commissioner of Police, Bello Yahaya, before it was implemented.

PERISCOPE NIGERIA reports that the restriction, announced by the Gombe State Police Command on June 11, 2025, remains in force. In addition to the curfew on motorcycle use, it also prohibits carrying more than one passenger on motorcycles, use of truck-type horns, and the public display of weapons. These measures, according to police authorities, are intended to tackle a surge in criminal activities such as phone snatching, thuggery, and violence linked to motorcycle usag
The governor said, “The Commissioner of Police did not consult me about his plans for the restriction. I have heard your complaints about it. Even if I call him in response to your cries, I will not ask him to lift the restriction. I would rather tell him to look and do what is right at the right time.”
His comments come amid a flurry of public outcry over the police directive, which restricts motorcycle operations in Gombe metropolis from 7 p.m. to 6 a.m. daily. Many residents, particularly commercial motorcycle operators, have described the order as harsh and economically disruptive.
While distancing his administration from the directive, the governor emphasized that he would not interfere with legitimate efforts by security agencies to protect lives and ensure public order.
“We all know states around us that have completely banned motorcycles. We’ve not taken that path in Gombe. We all need to make sacrifices for the well-being and development of our state,” he said, acknowledging the need for some tough measures in light of growing security threats.
Governor Yahaya further revealed that more than 1,000 motorcycles had already been confiscated since the restriction took effect, with over 90 percent of them found to be unregistered or lacking license plates.
The governor added, “I support any action against terrorists and indiscriminate killings. If a parent comes to bail out a thug arrested by security agents, that parent should be arrested as well.”
Yahaya called on residents to be patient and contribute positively to maintaining the peace the state currently enjoys. “It is said that Gombe is the most peaceful state. Let us not allow the peace we’ve built to be destroyed. We are the only ones who can repair and protect our society,” the governor urged.



